Parent Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve compiled a list of the most common questions we receive from parents and families. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please let us know at

It is common for students to experience a discrepancy between high school grades and initial college academic performance. Students may need to seek new ways of learning and tools for studying. If your student is having problems adjusting academically, you might suggest that he or she:

Students wondering about their major and career options may take advantage of career counseling at Counseling Services. Typically, career counseling explores personal and professional goals and how to achieve them. Individuals may complete interest inventories to help clarify their likes and dislikes and occupational "matches." Individual and group formats of career counseling are available.  Students can also find valuable information through Career Opportunities and Employer Relations. Students interested in changing their major should visit their academic advisor for specific information about the program they wish to join and complete the Undergraduate Request to Change Majors.

If your student is having trouble with determining their area of study, please contact:

The Office of the Dean of Students is committed to enhancing the academic mission of the university by creating and maintaining a safe, positive and productive living and learning community. The Standard of Conduct defines behavior expected of all University of Missouri students. The Office of the Dean of Students is committed to fostering an educational and developmental process that positively influences their decisions as adults. Information pertaining to the Office of the Dean of Students, Community Standards, and Student Conduct is available online at

The Student Expectations, Rights and Responsibilities Statement is provided to educate students, faculty and staff on expectations of behavior while engaged in community development.

For more Information Contact: Office of the Dean Of Students, 107 Norwood Hall,, 573-341-4209

Disenchantment with college can be caused by a wide variety of factors: academic stress, relationship issues, peer pressure, or homesickness are just a few examples. You might want to ask your student if he or she is feeling homesick or missing friends or a significant other. Some resources you could suggest:

If your student has lost enthusiasm for school or is suffering from homesickness, please contact:

When a student is away at college, major events in the family, can be especially difficult to handle. The distance from home and inability to assist his or her family during these tough times may leave a student feeling helpless, guilty, angry or alone. Your student may find it difficult to share these feelings with you or other family members. Counseling Services provides both individual and group counseling services to support students.

If family concerns are affecting your student, he or she may want to talk with:

There are many different programs that students can take advantage of to meet their education costs. Many Missouri S&T students receive a combination of merit-based scholarships, Federal need based assistance, scholarships and grants for Missouri residents, and through other financial opportunities at Missouri S&T. Students interested in working can find full-time, co-op, and summer employment opportunities on or off campus using MinerJobs

If your student is struggling with financial concerns with school, please contact:

Your student can make an appointment with Counseling Services or Student Health Services:

Conflict with a roommate can arise because of misunderstandings, unwillingness to compromise, and personality differences. These conflicts can quickly spin out of control if they are not resolved quickly. If your college student complains to you about a problematic roommate:

  • Ask if they have spoken to their Resident Assistant (RA) on their floor. RAs are trained to help students solve roommate problems.
  • Suggest they talk to their Resident Director (RD) for more help if they're still having problems after working with the RA.
  • Direct them to the Office of Residential Life. Staff members can help roommates in conflict resolve their differences, or work with other mediators in Counseling Services (generally, Residential Life mediates only when RAs and RDs are unable to bring the parties in conflict to some sort of agreement).
  • Students may wish to visit Counseling Services, to participate in some of their outreach programs including issues involving dealing with difficult people & group dynamics.

For more information on roommate issues, please contact:

If your college student is having trouble socially, you might suggest some of the following ways to meet new friends on campus:

Counseling Services is a great resource for addressing concerns through personal counseling in areas of self-exploration, college adjustment, feelings of depression and anxiety, interpersonal issues, or self-esteem.

For more information about social adjustment, please contact:

Attending class is expected.  Faculty members will have different rules and guidelines for expectations of attendance in their classroom. These should be outlined in the class syllabus.  It is the responsibility of the student to contact their professor(s), preferably ahead of time, regarding class absence(s) and to make the appropriate arrangements to make up any missed course work and/or exam.  However, if a student is too ill, they should visit Student Health Services, they will verify that a student visited for an illness/injury.  A written verification can be provided to the student at the time of the office visit upon request.

It is the discretion of each instructor to excuse the absence; Student Health Services does not have the authority to grant excuses/exemptions from class. It is the student's’ responsibility to communicate with their instructor about absence from class and make arrangements for missed assignments.

Students are responsible for knowing and complying with the entirety of the Student Academic Regulations comprised of eleven sections including: notifications, registration, schedules, changes in schedules, absences, withdrawals, examinations, grades, unsatisfactory work, probation, and discipline. For more information contact the Office of the Registrar, (573) 341-4362,

Students who feel that they have been discriminated against may file a grievance or informal concern/complaint by completing the following form Additionally, support services through Counseling Services and the Care Coordinator may be helpful to your student.

If your student is involved in a non-vehicular accident resulting from, arising out of and directly relating to the University's premises (owned, rented or leased) they will need to complete the STUDENT OR GENERAL PUBLIC INJURY AND PROPERTY DAMAGE REPORT. Students should contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs to report this matter. In addition, students can visit Student Health Services for evaluation and treatment of their injury.

Missouri S&T places a high priority on the personal safety of its students.  The University Police Department is committed to providing a secure campus. However, being a new student in a new environment can sometimes be intimidating. If you or your student have any safety concerns, you might make your student aware of the many security awareness and crime prevention programs and materials University Police offer. These include but are not limited to:

  • Rave Guardian App - A free mobile app that turns your student’s smartphone into a personal safety device. By downloading the app, students can add friends and family to their network as “guardians” to virtually walk with them on or off campus. The app also has a safety feature that connects to the police in an emergency and allows the ability to text the S&T Police Department a tip regarding any concerns or suspicious situations.
  • Personal Security Escort - A free personal security escort service for people walking on campus or to and from a University owned residence, available 24/7 by contacting S&T Police by phone, email or walk-in.
  • Campus Safety - The University Police Department offers to students, faculty, and staff crime prevention programs that are useful in the protection of property and contribute to the physical well-being of the campus community.
  • Crime Prevention Materials - Brochures and posters related to substance abuse, personal safety, seat belt use, motor vehicle and bicycle theft prevention, residence and office security are distributed campus wide.

For more information on student safety contact: University Police, (573) 341-4300,

Many students feel anxious when they take their first college exams or tests. Anxiety may be caused when the student doesn't know what a professor expects, how a test will be designed, or what to study. Professors normally discuss the content and format of the exam before it takes place, but students may start worrying early nonetheless. If your student seems particularly worried about a test, you might suggest to your student that he or she:

  • Talk to the instructor. The class syllabus includes the instructor's office hours, email address, and telephone number, and the student should feel free to contact the professor to discuss a test if need be.
  • Visit the Student Success Center to develop new test-taking strategies, or learn ways to overcome test anxiety.
  • Contact Disability Services to see if they need formal accommodations.
  • Connect with Counseling Services to find resources and individual or group counseling services for test anxiety.

The Office of the Registrar offers academic calendar information, with important dates and deadlines. 

Missouri S&T students can grant other users direct and authorized online access to their student information in Joe'SS - this could include account information, academic information, directory information, and financial aid. Click here  for more information. 

Payment and billing is handled by the Cashier's Office. Please click here  for a guide to paying fees and general payment information. 

For information about meal plans, dining locations, miner bucks, and food choices (particularly allergies, gluten sensitivity, or healthy eating) please click here.

There is not a Dean’s List at Missouri S&T, however, students may be recognized for academic excellence through their department or the Office of the Registrar’s honor roll.

Click here for information about scholarships at Missouri S&T.